Wednesday, October 29, 2008

wedding funeral

In this beautifully written piece, one woman details the experience of attending her ex-boyfriend's wedding.

Finding out that a former fling of yours is getting married is always such a surreal experience. You're not angry, you're not disappointed, you just feel...weird.

I've had this sensation a few times. Fortunately I've always been able to criticize the bride-to-be's physical appearance just quickly enough to turn the situation into something that actually works to improve my self-esteem. Amazing.

Even so, just yesterday I learned through a social networking site that I guy I went out with, like, three times had recently gotten engaged. It still made me feel weird.

Probably a big part of it is the fear of ending up as the weaker half of a severed romance. The idea that everything that made you incompatible, everything that made the two of you not work...must be a consequence of you because you're the one who ended up alone.

Wow. Talk about depressing. Which is why I don't go to ex-boyfriends' weddings.

Anyone brave enough to take that plunge? Or, um, at least get invited?