Wednesday, October 29, 2008

cents and the small screen


Has the economy made you any more wary of reality TV shows focused on gluttony?

A year ago -- even six months ago -- it was fun to stare as whiny quasi-celebs sported overpriced solid-colored T-shirts. Now, those shows have to fight a little harder to maintain their popularity, some people say.

The Frisky discusses the potential problems in marketing the new "Shopaholic" movie, slated for release in February.

But on the other side of the coin, this Slate piece discusses the consumer confidence-restoring power of "The Real Housewives of Atlanta." It contends, "This fluff might be the perfect stuff for our time of financial crisis."

I indulge in my fair share of gluttony-driven TV, but it doesn't make me resentful of the characters, nor am I immediately compelled to spend $500 on a solid-colored tube dress.

It's simply an escape, a reminder of the things that I'd buy if I won the lottery or a wanted a pair of shoes enough to marry a hairy old rich guy.