Thursday, October 30, 2008

on fire

Hey everybody...sorry things are starting a bit late today. My morning was interrupted by the humongous fire that destroyed the historic Bibb Mill that sits right across the street from my house.

Check out Chuck and Lily's excellent coverage of the fire here.

To Bibb City newcomers like me, it's a big deal, but I can't imagine what it was like for the many long-time residents who watched everything go down. Contrary to the spectators who randomly decided to set up BBQ grills amid the flames -- yep, true story -- many people watched a significant chunk of their lives burn away this morning.

I spoke with three of my neighbors this morning, including one guy who'd spent about 45 years of his life in that building.

It just proves how transitory so many aspects of life are, not to mention the fact that there are few uninterrupted nights in Bibb City.