Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Engagement rings

Over at The Frisky, there's an interesting discussion going on about the necessity of engagement rings.

It all started with a post from the NY Times Freakonomics Blog, where one guy suggested the whole engagement ring ritual is irrational. The economist's response? "I tend to agree with you."

I'm pretty much the stingiest person when it comes to traditional wedding rituals.

Since childhood, I've fantasized about a courthouse wedding and a fast-food catered reception.

When friends tell me about their over-the-top wedding expenses, I smile, but inside I'm thinking about how many trips to Vegas that same amount of money could buy.

So no, I don't really think engagement rings are necessary.

Then again, it's easy for me to say that when I'm not engaged.

If somebody I loved proposed to me sans ring, I'd still say yes. But things would definitely feel a little off. And honestly, I'd be mad.

Would you get engaged without a ring?