Friday, September 11, 2009

Just so you know...

A couple years ago, I went on a few dates with a guy and things didn't really work out.

Since I couldn't pinpoint what was wrong, I opted for the "I'll just stop calling him" method of halting a potential relationship. A week or two into the process, he finally got the clue.

We lost contact -- until he sent me a text message about two months later.

He offered the usual pleasantries...and then told me he had a girlfriend. You know, just in case I'd spent the past eight weeks contemplating his romantic well-being.

It was one of the most bizarre relationship experiences ever.

We'd gone out all of three times and stopped talking...but he still felt the need to tell me he was off the market.

Was it an attempt to make me jealous? To get back at me for not directly ending things? Or did he honestly think I cared?

I've never understood the "just so you know, I'm dating someone else now" phone call.

Maybe there are exceptions. Maybe things are different if you're dealing with an ex of 10 years, or somebody you still see on a daily basis.

But if your relationship was short-term, and there's no chance you and your ex will reconcile, what's the point of calling him/her with an update on your romantic status?

(Here, The Frisky extends that question, asking if you should tell your ex that you've gotten engaged.)