Monday, September 21, 2009

Reduce, reuse, recycle

The heat of your romantic passion is gone, and your former fling has acquired the coolness factor of newsprint and aluminum cans.

Wait, that's a good thing!

Well, maybe.

Here, Glamour asks if it's OK to recycle your ex.

In the context of relationships, recycling means setting an ex up with one of your friends.

On the surface, the concept makes sense: The fact that your relationship didn't work out hardly makes your former partner undesirable. Maybe you had a short romance that ended simply because of lifestyle differences.

You know your ex well. You know your friend well. This seems like it should work out.

But I say it's a recipe for desire.

As the aforementioned Glamour piece notes, there's an incredible potential for jealousy -- no matter how much you swear you're "totally over" the former relationship.

And I don't know about you, but if a good-intentioned friend tried to set me up with her ex, I'd throw back an angry line about sloppy seconds.

She'd call it recycling. I'd call it the "he wasn't good enough for me, but he's perfect for you" school of matchmaking.

Thoughts?