Friday, September 4, 2009

Happy anniversary!

You've seen the Facebook status updates:

"Happy anniversary, baby! I'm so glad I found the love of my life. I can't wait to see you tonight!"

It seems like a sweet testimony of conquering love's ups and downs. Until you realize this:

They've been together one week.

Am I the only unmarried person who's never formally celebrated a relationship anniversary?

Make no mistake: I've marked anniversaries on my calendar -- with glitter pens. When the day hits, I've casually mentioned its significance: "You know, we've officially been together six months now."

Without fail, the statement is met with a noncommittal shrug.

To feel better, I convince myself a relationship's real milestones -- say, 10 years together -- lose their significance when you mark an anniversary every other week...even every other month.

Yes, it's nice to step back and appreciate your significant other, but is one month together really worthy of a status update? Maybe not.

In the end, I guess we all really just want to celebrate.

We want our partners to acknowledge the dinners we bought, the cards we made and relationship uncertainty we weathered.

And then remind us we're good for another year.