Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The more you know

Technology, I owe you an apology.

For years, I thought you were only good for pop-up ads, spam e-mail and expletive-inducing shutdowns.

But I recently learned your real purpose: You're here to help me date!

How else do you explain this new iPhone app, which includes a "Sleaze Detector" feature?

Then, there's Gelato, a new online dating service that shows users updates from your Facebook profile, Twitter, Nextflix queue, Pandora stations and Flickr photos.

So yes, as Nerve's Scanner accurately observes, it's nice that technology is doing our stalking work for us.

At this rate, surprising disclosures mid-relationship should be rare.

But I'm not convinced.

Has technology -- rich in background checks and interest surveys -- really made today's daters better judges of character?