Thursday, September 3, 2009

What you wear

Let me introduce you my former best friend: a pink velour tracksuit from Bebe.

I was convinced it made me look like Eva Longoria.

The getup hugged my body in all the right places, and it seemed to perfectly illustrate an elusive combination: sexy meets sporty.

That is, until my boyfriend dubbed it a "Wal-Mart outfit."

Maybe he meant to suggest I was destined for Internet fame. But the comment hurt, and my tracksuit was laid to rest.

No matter how much you love someone, can you ever really criticize his/her choice in clothing without repercussions?

Here, The Frisky/CNN tell us how to deal with a badly dressed boyfriend.

Then, there's this Glamour blog post, where one woman asks how long you have to wait before repeating an outfit in a relationship.

And finally, this article states the obvious: For women, high couture doesn't always equal high romantic appeal. ("Very roughly, you could say that fashion falls into clothes to get you laid, and clothes that you wear for other women.")

Clothes may be mere accessories, but they still have potential to ignite bitter fights.

Unless you're Heidi Klum, or your significant other has an incurable affinity for Crocs, keep your mouth shut.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to bond with a certain velour tracksuit.