Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Social suicide...on Facebook?


I recently modeled in a local bridal expo. The second I signed up, I knew what my favorite part would be.

Not wearing a really expensive gown from Formal Elegance. Not getting a free hair and makeup session, either.

What I looked forward to most: Confusing people on Facebook by posting pics of me dressed as a bride.

So after I graced the runway, I created a Facebook photo album innocently titled "I'm a bride!"

Believe it or not, my trickery kind of worked. I got my share of congratulatory messages and inquiries about the lucky fella.

But even though I didn't really get hitched, the experience made me feel the eerie discomfort of overstepping your limits of Facebook disclosure.

Did my closest acquaintances really believe I'd inform them of such a major life change through a social networking site?

In my 2 years as a Facebook user, I have yet to even post a relationship status.

That might mean I'm destined for a life as a social outcast -- at least if you believe this researcher. He says failing to disclose details about your private life on Facebook is like social suicide.

Not everyone's buying the argument. Honestly, I think responsible Facebook use errs on the side of too little information, not too much.

Then again, maybe digitally reminding us of your romantic perils has social value.

You know, the kind you can't find in FarmVille.