Thursday, September 17, 2009

I ain't no hollaback girl

A potential fling sends you an e-mail that begins with "holla." Are you intrigued?

Believe it or not, a sizable share of daters might say yes.

Check out this advice, courtesy of dating Web site OkCupid.

The site studied which words work when you're responding to an online personal ad -- and which words dampen your chances of getting a response.

Among the findings: Online daters are all about unusual greetings.

But wait: I'm referring to something as extreme as "attention future wife."

"Unusual" means phrases like "how's it going," "what's up" and "howdy."

"Holla" wasn't incredibly popular, but it did beat weaker options like "hi," "hey" and "hello."

I start 90 percent of my personal e-mails with "hey sexy." I realize that's a bit uncomfortable for some recipients.

What's your favorite e-mail salutation? And is "holla" really a turn on?