Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Groundhog Day

If you're really lucky, you get three days that you wouldn't mind repeating.

Two of those are major life events -- say, your wedding. The birth of a child. A life-changing job promotion.

For your last relivable day, you get to pick a random calendar date that is spectacular in its ordinariness.

Mine came Saturday.

I was up by 8 a.m. to run a 5K. I ate a turkey sandwich. Went to Walmart. Drank a glass of wine that is banned in Alabama.

There was a nice dinner involved, but the steak alone didn't make the day wonderful. Trust me: When I'm upset, I can find a way to sulk through even the ritziest meal.

Saturday contained no elaborate surprises, no unprompted shopping sprees, no bold declarations of emotion.

But at the end of the night, the sensation hit:

"I want to do this day again.'"

Of course, I couldn't. The clocked ticked, the calendar flipped and that was that.

I guess I can't complain too much.

Most of us, myself included, navigate life under a cloud of fear urging us to stop once we realize or shortcomings.

Or fast forward when it's apparent that a challenge is on the way.

If you find yourself in the company of someone who makes you want to hit "replay" -- even just once -- you're doing pretty well.