Friday, October 2, 2009

Beauty school dropout

I don't like being asked when I'm going to get married.

Even more so, I don't like getting that question from someone who, if unsatisfied with my answer, could make me look like Felicity...during her bad years.

This is one of the reasons why I dread getting my hair cut.

The other reason is the price. With my curly locks, it's hard not to leave a salon without paying close to $200 for a cut and highlights.

This week, I faced a dilemma. My hair was in bad shape and I wanted to get it touched up before heading to Las Vegas in two weeks.

Make no mistake: I've found a few great hairdressers in the Columbus area.

But unfortunately, their price tags aren't designed for someone who's saving up for a very posh birthday dinner in Vegas for her boyfriend.

So I did something radical: I hit up Rivertown School of Beauty.

Consider it the greatest discovery EVER. My total cost for a cut and highlights was just over $40. They also do pedicures, manicures, facials and waxing.

Was I nervous? Of course. But my stylist was actually more competent than some of the hairdressers who have charged me $100. And instructors supervise the students the whole time.

Sure, you don't have the ambiance of a traditional spa setting. But that's only a minor drawback.

Nobody tried to sell me overpriced styling products.

And never once was I asked why I don't have a ring on my left finger.