Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sleeping with Lady Luck

Is gambling a vice strong enough to make somebody less attractive?

Glamour asks that question in this blog post, and I'm surprised at how many commenters suggest gambling -- even in moderation -- is a turn-off.

Next week, I'll be in Vegas for vacation. When mention the trip, people always ask, "Ooh...are you gambling?"

No.

This will be my fourth trip to Vegas. I think during all those trips, I've gambled a combined total of $1. I just don't get it. If I'm going to spend money, I'd rather spend it in a way where I know I'm going to get something in return.

My boyfriend, however, is a different story.

Our Vegas trips are essentially separate vacations.

He wakes up early to hit the poker tables, while I sit by the pool. We meet for lunch. He goes back to poker and I shop. We meet for dinner. He returns to poker and I work a street corner for the rest of the night. Kidding.

The setup suits me fine, and I kind of enjoy the anticipation of wondering if we'll spend dinner in loss-inspired silence.

Then again, I might react differently if he was gambling with "our" money, rather than his own.

Has gambling ever caused you to break up with a partner?