Tuesday, October 13, 2009

January Jones and Ashton Kutcher

January Jones of "Mad Men" fame recently did an interview with GQ, and everyone's talking about her comments regarding former fling Ashton Kutcher.

Jones says Kutcher wasn't supportive of her acting. She explains:

"He was like, I don't think you're going to be good at this. So – f--- you! He only has nice things to say now – if anything, I should thank him. Because the minute you tell me I can't do something, that's when I'm most motivated."

Now I'm not crazy about Ashton Kutcher...but support is a funny thing in a relationship.

Some people think you're supposed to be your significant other's constant cheerleader, always praising his/her efforts -- regardless of how good they really are.

Other people say a romantic partner should instead be primarily a reflection of honesty, the one person you can count on to never sugar-coat the truth.

Yes, you do look fat in those pants. No, you're not cut out to be a singer.

It's a fine line.

I don't think you need to exaggerate someone's talents just because you're dating him/her, but you have some obligation to nod encouragingly at a goal -- no matter how out of reach it seems.

Thoughts?