Friday, May 25, 2007

ballers beware


Just about three hours until I officially start my three-day weekend. Hope you're surviving Friday, too.

Read my weekend picks here. Basically, I'm not doing anything spectacular this weekend, but I know I'm probably still going to have the best three days of my entire life. Tonight, I have a hot dinner date at Red Robin, which is in summary one of my favorite restaurants ever. Ironically, I totally hated it before I moved here. The reason? I went there on a first date while I was living in California, and the guy did nothing but talk about magic mushrooms the entire time. Hated him. Then, after the worst dinner conversation yet, he took me to this club that played nothing but techno. And I hate techno. It was probably the most boring date EVER and I swore off Red Robin for over a year after that.

Actually, the same thing happened with this dress I own. I bought it before flying cross-country to see this guy I liked, and it cost close to $100. (That's a lot when you're a journalist.) Anyway, I got there, and even after not seeing me for a year, the guy said absolutely nothing about my dress. So I assumed it was actually hideous and didn't wear it for TWO YEARS. Then, after last week's fashion show, I needed something to match my new shoes and that dress was the only thing I came up with. I wore it downtown, and surprisingly got TONS of compliments.

So what I'm trying to say is...before you swear something off for good, realize that sometimes finding the perfect fit requires nothing more changing your audience. Or whatever.

Anyway, back to weekend news...my other big plans include going to Muldoon's to see Autumn Haze, the local party band who'll be playing there Friday and Saturday. Actually, I'm writing about Muldoon's for the first installment of a new bar profile series in the paper, so look for that in next Thursday's To Do section.

Another thing that I'm very excited about is making cocktails out of beverages from Sonic. In summary, they're going to be delicious and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and write recipes for y'all.

Basically, the weather is going to be great and there's no reason to NOT be outside this weekend. You should especially check out the ongoing bocce game on Broadway. Which brings me to this article about sex advice from bocce players. A sample? "The object of bocce is to get the ball as close to the other ball as possible without knocking it out, which teaches you how to get someone right to where they should be, but not push them too far."

Have a great three-day weekend!!!!!