Thursday, May 17, 2007

waiting to inhale


This British anti-smoking campaign featuring fish hooks in men's and women's mouths has generated the highest number of complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority since 2005, according to this article.


The ads are designed to address the concept of being "hooked" on smoking. They read, "The average smoker needs over five thousand cigarettes a year. Get unhooked."


I've never smoked cigarettes -- consistently -- but my sorority dorm floor pretty much smelled like a smoker's paradise. Mmmm.


A couple quick thoughts on smoking...first, I wonder if anybody still regards it as a turnoff in the dating universe. I remember a guy once told me he was turned ON by girls who smoke and I thought that was pretty much the weirdest thing in the world.

Also, I think it's funny that some some 20- and 30-somethings still smoke to be cool. Smoking was a huge thing on the college speech team circuit, and a whole bunch of my fellow competitors would often just hold a cigarette -- or smoke, but not inhale -- just to look cool. Even now, I see people do the same thing in bars almost every weekend.


Posers. Their coolness levels are so up in smoke.