Thursday, May 17, 2007

model behavior


"I began to realize that being beautiful is like having a rent-controlled apartment overlooking the park: completely unfair and usually bestowed upon those who deserve it least."
--Carrie Bradshaw, "Sex and the City"

Flaunting unshaven legs and frizzy hair, I spent an hour last night watching the season finale of "America's Next Top Model." I got addicted to the show in its first season, largely because I harbored same-sex fantasies about eventual winner Adrianne Curry. But as it became more about Tyra's shameless self-promotion and less about actual good looks, my interest waned. Still, I was happy when my fellow Chicago native Jaslene (pictured above) won.

I'll be hitting the runway -- on Broadway -- in a fashion show for Zoila's Boutique at 8 p.m. Friday, and I'm having all sorts of nightmares about falling on my face and becoming "fashion roadkill" a la Carrie Bradshaw in a fourth-season episode of "Sex and the City."

Beauty to me is some kind of parallel universe, one in which you'll always be "cute" when you want to be "gorgeous" and "sexy" when you want to be "hot."

Intermittently, my girlfriends and I discuss what "cute," "hot" and "beautiful" mean to a guy. I'd say "beautiful" has a relationship connotation, while "hot" implies more of a one-night stand potential and "cute" suggests a friends-only, little sister relationship.

Am I right? Also, do you think you're more inclined to find beauty or take beauty for granted the longer you know a member of the opposite sex?

Send me your thoughts, because I'm thinking about writing a column about this. Oh, and everybody who reads this blogs has a totally bangin' body. Even you, mom.