Monday, May 21, 2007

divas & dragons

I have two stiletto-induced scabs on both my knees, but before you send me your condolences, I'll note they occurred only in the aftermath of Friday's fashion show. Thank God.

So yes, I did make it across the runway twice without any major casualties. Success. All in all, the experience was fun, even if it did feel slightly surreal at times. I think Alan said it best when he compared the ordeal to a game of "Dungeons and Dragons."

Girls came from all walks of life to take on an alter ego -- in this case, that of a model -- as a means of temporary escape from the real world. That kinda makes sense, right?

The rest of the weekend was pretty stellar. On Friday and Saturday combined, I hit five nightlife venues: Locos Amigos Cantina, Mario's, Broad Street Blues, Daileys and Big City Club. The onset of summer has definitely made downtown much less crowded, which is ironic because you'd think the warm weather would increase people's willingness to party.

I guess the regular partiers are on vacation...or opting for summer house parties instead.

Random impressions of the weekend...I think it's ironic that Daileys, the bar that moved into the space that used to house Boneheads, is still giving out Boneheads wristbands. Also, I can't emphasize enough how much I hate close talkers. Even when the music is really loud, I don't understand what compels somebody to talk so closely that their nose is literally touching yours.

Finally, this weekend I encountered an all-time high of people complaining about how much they hate Columbus. Ironically, the majority of these people had lived in town for at least a decade. If you hate somewhere that much, move. Sure, in some rare cases there may be factors holding you down, but often it's mainly laziness and fear that make someone play the victim card.

Enough said.

Happy Monday. The Monday Moan will follow.