Wednesday, May 16, 2007

bow down to the queen


Wanted to include a quick pic of my little sis Serena, who was voted queen of her junior prom last Saturday night. She's the one wearing the tiara. Duh.

I went to three proms during my high school career, and none of them were extremely exciting. One year, I didn't even RIDE there with my date. How lame was I?

That said, I like to think I curbed a bit of my prom angst by giving really good fashion advice to my sis this year. She wore a strapless dress, and initially contemplated wearing her thick, wavy hair down. Bad decision. Strapless dresses are designed to accentuate your upper body -- shoulders, neckline, cleavage. When you have your hair down, especially if it's of the big hair variety, it overpowers your neckline and thus defeats the central purpose of wearing a strapless dress. Just some fashion advice for your Wednesday afternoon.

And while we're on the topic of fashion advice, I have one more helpful hint for you.

Tops with especially busy patterns -- say, swirly hues of blue and orange, are designed to stand alone. It's not a good idea to pair them with a busy bottom...for example, jeans with elaborate colorful embroidery. By doing that, you offer conflicting focal points that detract from the shirt's original appeal.

You can thank me later.