Tuesday, May 1, 2007

what women want?


Today I came across this Men's Health article called "50 Things She Wishes You Knew: Universal Truths that All Men Should -- But Don't -- Understand." It's basically a rundown of the relationship pitfalls that women have been complaining about at gyms, salons and slumber parties for decades. A sampling:

No. 21: A man I love plans the occasional fancy-schmancy dress-up date and impromptu weekend getaways, and he buys my favorite candy in advance when we're just going to the movies.

No. 34: I need to hear how you feel about me. Often. Tell me now.

No. 49: I remember everything about our relationship.

Initially, the list struck me as just a glorified version of the many MySpace bulletins and forwarded e-mails I've received since the majority of my friends entered serious relationships. But after a brief Google search of the aforementioned article, I was surprised by how much Internet criticism it's generated since its publication.

One of its chief critics, a blogger named Klashbash, even wrote points retaliating each item on the list. He prefaces it with: "Women have an appetite for erratic reasoning. They want equal rights without the negative ones. How about they pay half of the meal? Equality right? They want to be treated like a princess but god forbid they extend the 'anything for you' courtesy. As this snobbish 'the world revolves around me' list illustrates; you have to buy her off and treat her like an idol before she'll throw you a bone."

Harsh? Maybe. But these lists bother me because they give women the illusion that there are guys out there reading 50-item compilations in hopes of debunking every typical male flaw.

False.

List your demands as much as you'd like, but realize that they're ideals, not must-haves. Thoughts?