Monday, May 7, 2007

case of the ex


This photo of exes Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake exchanging formalities at the "Shrek the Third" premiere got me thinking about the age-old question of whether it's possible to be friends with an ex.

Some logic says sure...if somebody was a big enough part of your life for a long enough time, there's no reason to let a little failed romantic chemistry get in the way of a lifelong friendship. Which I think is fair thinking, as long as you ended things amicably.

But I think the issue puts you on a very slippery slope, because one person's feelings are almost always going to be stronger than the other's. And while those feelings are often masked in "just saying hi" and "I'm so happy for you," they still exist...and often contribute to a false hope in rekindling something beyond friendship.

And also...if someone lied or cheated on you, he or she isn't a friend in the first place. Reader: I don't even know you, but I'm guessing there are approximately 3,421 people interested in hanging out with you. So why make it such a priority to pursue a friendship with the one person who isn't worth it?

Thoughts?