Thursday, May 24, 2007

military guys, part 2

Recap: I sent out a bunch of MySpace surveys to Fort Benning guys for this week's column. Here's the second batch of responses that didn't fit in the print edition. (Be sure to check out the first set in the post below.)

*"I do go downtown, I have been single most of my time in Columbus and I have found that it is really hard to meet women in Columbus. I usually don't have a hard time when I leave Columbus, but there I do. I think women look at men in the military and think that most of us are pigs and don't even give us a chance. There are bad seeds everywhere. Military or no military. Yes, when I go out it is generally to meet women, who doesn't want a woman in their life?"

*"We like to let loose and once we come back from a year or so gone we are even more prone to letting loose."

*"I think there are guys stationed here and guys training here. As a guy stationed here, my goal isn't to just hook up, because I will probably see that person again, and after 12 or so hook ups, it's almost positive a girl I hooked up with would be in every bar. Guys training here are just passing through and will be gone in 3 weeks to 6 months"

*"You're lucky if you're within 5 blocks of a single female around here."

*"Being in the military sets most guys apart from other guys who are not in uniform. Even though it seems overly dramatic and an exaggeration, the soldiers you see around Columbus are the warriors of the present. Benning soldiers now carry the torch passed on from the Spartans, Romans, etc. to present day. Indeed any young man who enlists with the current situation is brave beyond doubt."

*"A lot of people think military guys go out to party and go get one-night stands. Which is true about most, but there are a few exceptions. I'm not really one of them, though."

*"A lot of guys aren't just looking to hook up, and there are a lot of different types of military guys downtown. Officers, Non-Comissioned Officers, Soldiers, and within those groups there are plenty of different reasons they are at Fort Benning."

*"When I go out, yes it is to primarily to meet women. Although I would like to say that there aren't that many good women in Columbus."

*"It's funny, before I was in the military, I thought that it would be kind of a turn on for females that I was in the military, now when I tell one what i do, there seems to be a negative connotation."

*"I think military guys will always feel like outsiders in the club scene. I don't feel weird or not welcome, but standing out in a crowd is hardly ever comfortable."